Online resources relevant to finding GFolks. | DNA Analysis Resources
If you know of a good resource, please send it to me: Norfolk1956@gmail.com
Family Histories of GFolks and related Kinfolk
Genealogy stuff — stuff you should know:
- Gedmatch Admixture Guide
? What is the difference between all of the different DNA ethnicity models?Gedmatch.com is a website where you upload your raw DNA data for further analysis and match with people from other companies who have also upload their data. HOWEVER, most of the models offered for you to test your DNA for ethnicity are not worth much unless understood in perspective. (170407)
- GEDmatch – Understanding how matches work
- What percentage of your atDNA is a good match?
In general a long consecutive string of half-identical SNP results (typically about 7 centiMorgans / 700 SNPs, depending on the test’s error rate and other factors) is required before one can infer that two matching DNA segments are probably related within the last seven generations.
- Compare two faces and determine if same person — This is a really cool app, available via either Google Play or the Apple Store. It uses biometrics to compare photos of two individuals and tells you its level of confidence as to whether two people are related.
- Heatmap Creator of people with Surname ___.
- Digital Public Library of America
- Newspapers.com — Searching for ‘Golden’ can be VERY frustrating. Seldom are people named Golden found, but lots of ‘golden anniversary’ … ‘golden apples’ … ‘golden retrievers’ … ‘golden …’
- Newspapers on Ancestry.com — limited selection, mostly 1900s.
- Newspapers — The Ancestor Hunt, various news archives
- How many people are named ___ in UK? Create name maps.
- Facebook U-106 R1b info page — good stuff!
- How many centimorgans should ___ have?
- Haplotype Predictor
- MAPS of Ancient Europe by YDNA
- SNP Testing by YSEQ
- How to tell the relationship from the shared DNA
- How to predict your YDNA haplotype if you took Ancestry DNA test:1 — Download your raw Ancestry DNA file.2 — Go to the bottom of the page at MorleyDNA.com and upload your file.3 — In the next window, the only choice to make is to pick a prediction type. I recommend: ‘ISOGG tree’. You will then see how you match with a ‘most likely prediction on the left hand side of the screen given. The alternatives generally are always related to the most likely prediction. They represent other branches on the tree when you may/may not belong.
- Rev War – DAR Registry | NC/SC Carolana |
- Civil War Registry of Union and CSA servicemembers
- Fold3.com — military records archive (PAID)
- Strange names of weapons used in 1600s
- Civil War Images – National Battlefield Trust
USA / America / World
- Map by State and County which Surname lives where
— Click on portions of maps to see the data beneath it.
- Go there: Maps – David Rumsey Map Collection
— Large collection of maps from across time that can be downloaded. Nice. Very Nice.
- Newspapers from across USA
- Online Genealogy Records by Location: State, Country, Region
- 174,800+ Digitized Microfilms – worldwide topics
- Historical Atlases and Maps of U.S. and States – includes historical county maps
United Kingdom and Ireland
- Virginians that settled in Old Edgefield County before 1790
- MAPS of Carolina counties across time
- More MAPS of South Carolina
- Newspapers Online, historical (SC)
- SC Archives Online
- South Carolina historical and genealogical magazine, Volumes 1-24
- View Abbeville Equity Court Record Excerpts
- Anderson County: Anderson County Library, South Carolina Room
- Book / Index / A Compilation of the Original Lists of Protestant Immigrants to South Carolina 1763-1773
- County Maps over time from earliest formation
- View – Early Virginia Family Histories
- View – Virginia Historical Newspapers
- View – Search Land Grants
- Virginia Archives online: Petitions to State Legislature … Library of Virginia Digital Collection …
Bassett (W of Danville) — Bassett Historical Center is the repository for all genealogical research and local history for the counties of Henry and Patrick and the City of Martinsville, VA. Map to Location / 4.5 hours
Lynchburg — Jones Memorial Library: its primary focus is on the central Virginia area, the collection includes a wide variety of materials covering the State of Virginia as well as the surrounding states, including county histories and court records, family histories and genealogies, general works on the Civil War, county land tax and personal property tax records, and census records. Map to Location / 3.5 hours travel
Prince William eLibrary – consists of historic records, vital records, photos, images, and maps … and much more.
Prince William – Bull Run Region Library Relic Room – devoted to genealogy and local history with a focus on Virginia and Prince William County.
VA – Fredericksburg
Search Court Records Online
— Goes back to the early 1800s; includes a wide range of
VA – Fredericksburg
Central Rappahannock Regional Library
1201 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg, VA 22401
— A very good regional library for northern Virginia, less Alexandria and Fairfax.
Libraries — major libraries for GA NC SC VA and early Scot immigration
Links and Things to Explore (related to my own family)
- Goldens and Mariners
- 10th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment
- NC REV WAR PATRIOT LEADERS
- McMinn TN property records
- Hambrights in Rev War
- Hambrights in Civil War
- Hambrights in the news — post civil war
- Hambright cemetery McMinn TN
- John Goulding Rev War NJ
Cemeteries of Interest
- NC – Paint Gap, Burnsville — Horton Hill Cemetery — Is this the resting place of Nathaniel Greene Golden (1812-1882/3)? This cemetery is located across the street from Paint Gap Presbyterian Church.