The North Carolina Land Grant Database is a free site contains searchable data for over 216,000 land grants issued by the state of North Carolina from 1663 to 1960, including around 12,000 grants issued for what is now Tennessee.
Over 36,000 grants are linked directly to an image of the page in the corresponding Land Patent Book where the land description was recorded. For Mecklenburg County, over 5,000 grants are linked to over 28,000 high quality images of original warrants, surveys and other related documents.
There a number of GFolks that are listed in this database. Below are their names, the county in which they recieved a land grant, and the amount of acreage received.
Name / County, Acreage
- Golden, Thomas / Surry (1), 180 acres
- Golden, William / Surry (1), 150 acres
- Golden, William C. / Cherokee (1), 83 acres
- Golding, Edwin / Wake (1), 190 acres
- Golding, Isaac / Stokes (1), 100 acres
- Golding, John / Stokes (1), 200 acres
- Golding, Martin / Carteret (1), 100 acres
- Golding, Reuben / Surry (2), 32 acres
- Golding, Reuben D. / Stokes (1), 63 acres
- Golding, William / Surry (3), 211 acres
- Goulden, Thomas / Carteret (3), 1000 acres
- Goulding, George / Carteret (1), 100 acres
- Goulding, Thomas / Carteret (6), 1225 acres
The database can be somewhat misleading, but that just gives you more to read. For example, Thomas Goulding did not get 1,225 acres all at once. There were also probably two Thomas Gouldings that got land.
When you follow the links, you will find the 1,225 acres parceled out over time as follows:
Receiver / County / Year Applied / Year Received / Acreage / Location / File # / Call #
- Thomas Goulding / Carteret / 1761 / – / 100 / W. side of Nelsons Bay / 290 / S.108.582
- Thomas Goulding / Carteret / 1761 / – / 100 / On the West side of Nelson’s Bay joining Thomas Nelson’s and Nathan Barrentons lines / 345 / S.108.582
- Thomas Goulding / Carteret / 1780 / 1784 / 150 / On the West side of long bag [bay] / 762 / S.108.583
- Thomas Goulding / Carteret / 1780 / 1784 / 375 / Joining Thomas Goulding and William Salters lines / 778 / S.108.583
- Thomas Goulding / Carteret / 1780 / 1784 / 100 / On the head of Piney Point Creek / 781 / S.108.583