Married to Catherine Sheets (1797 – 1876)
Jonathan and several siblings were the first generation to carry the Golden name. Others continued to pass on the original Gulden family name.
His parents were:
++ John (Johannes) Gulden (1761 – 1843)
++ Elizabeth Weber (1764 – 1816)
The family’s story in America began with his gggrandfather and gggrandmother:
Samuel Malacrida Guldin was born 8 November 1693 at Stettlen, Bern, Switzerland. He was the son of Rev. Samuel Koch Guldin and Mary Magdalena Malacrida. For many generations, the Guldin family used the mother’s maiden name as a middle name for all of their children. Samuel M. emigrated to America with his parents on September 10 1710. He was a blacksmith and about 1718, he moved to the Oley Valley area which became Berks County. He was married 22 May 1722 to Elizabeth Hilsabeck. She was born about 1696, probably in Switzerland to John Hilsabeck. Her mother’s name is unknown.
Samuel’s will was dated 24 September 1773 and probated 25 October 1773 in Berks County, PA. He mentions his “estate in Bern, which is likewise ready to be remitted over in this part of the world”.
Children of Samuel M. and Elizabeth (Hilsabeck) Guldin:
- Samuel H. Guldin, b. 12 July 1723. Wife’s name was Elizabeth. Died 16 Sep 1789.
- Susanna H. Guldin , b. 5 Oct 1724. Marr. John Womelsdorf.
- John H. Guldin , b. 22 Feb 1725/26. Wife’s name was Christina. Died 22 Feb 1812.
- Mary Magdalena H. Guldin , b. 26 Aug 1728. Marr. Frederick Leinbach/Kleinbach.
- Frederick H. Guldin , b. 2 Aug 1729. Marr. 20 May 1752 in Frederick MD,Anna Margaretha Stepheddon . Died 31 Jan 1790.
- Daniel H. Guldin , b. 20 Apr 1735. (twin) Marr. 5 Aug 1762, Catherine Elizabeth Gelbach. Died 14 Aug 1817.
- Joanna Esther H. Guldin , b. 20 Apr 1735. (twin) Marr. Samuel Mecklin, Jr.
- Clara Elizabeth H. Guldin , b. 17 Sep 1738. Marr. Thomas Kutz. Died abt. 1829.
You can find numerous researchers and descendents of this family on Ancestry.com
You are welcome to add to or to correct this story by contacting: Bill Golden, Norfolk1956@gmail.com
BTW – I look forward to sharing your stories, photos and in-search-of quests. Contact me at the email address above.